History of Headland Golf Club

The first golf course on Buderim was established in the 1920 – 30's. It was a nine-hole course located on land belonging to H.V Fielding on both sides of Gloucester Road. Following a dispute in the 1930's, a new 9-hole course was established on land offered by Dr. H.K. Shaw on "Marimba". Grazing cows "mowed" the fairways, the greens were fenced, with styles allowing entrance for players. The course fell into disrepair during World War 2 and was never resurrected.

In the early 1950's a group of enthusiasts began discussing the formation of another Buderim Golf Club.

Planning Headland Golf Course – The Advertiser 30 July 1955

Great interest is being evinced in the new Headland Golf Club. Clearing has begun and it is now even more obvious that the situation is extremely good. The highest land is at the entrance to the course and will make an ideal site for the clubhouse.

From this point the planned course fans out in a half circle so that play on all fairways can be seen.

The site is backed by a splendid view of the sea and Point Cartwright. Couch grass on the patches of ground already mown is establishing itself well. Rules were approved and the officials appointed at the first general meeting.

In July 1954 Mr W.E.G Middleton stood on a ridge where the Club House now stands and gazed towards the sea over forest and clearings, farmed until recently by Alex Greig and his sons, and thought it would be excellent for a golf course. Ossie Walker, the Professional at Indooroopilly Golf Club, was invited to express his opinion of the area, and his report concludes: Finally, in my opinion a good golf course can be constructed on the property and the soil appears to be most suitable for golf greens provided water is available.

By Christmas Day 1956 just eighteen months since those attending an inaugural meeting resolved to form a golf club, 5 holes of the course opened for play. This enabled 9 hole competitions to be started by playing the first four holes twice. The 9th hole was our present 18th.

The nine-hole course was first played in 1958. It used the first four holes of the original layout, which became 6, 7, 8, and 9 with 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 much the same as the current 10, 15, 16, 17, and 18.

The eighteen hole layout was finished in 1965. This was a big event for Headland and Sir Emanuel Hornibrook, President of the Queensland Golf Union, consented to open the course on the 9th October 1965. He marked the occasion by driving a ball down the first fairway.

The 18 hole course was similar to the present day layout except that since the several greens and tees have been enlarged, re shaped, or elevated. The major changes are:

  • 1st hole – The tee was where the lower practice putting green is now.
  • 7th hole – The green was extended some 80 metres. It was originally near the current right hand bunker.
  • 11th hole – this hole was a Par 3, 198 metres and rated as Index 6.
  • 12th hole – Where the large dam is now was a wet and dense area that was impenetrable and a ball hit into this area was well and truly lost.
  • 14th hole – This hole was a blind Par 4. There was a ladder on the tee to enable players to check if it was clear to hit. This hole was later made a Par 3, which allowed the 10th to be extended by some 55 metres.
  • The 11th was then extended and became a Par 4 by placing the tee where the original 14th green had been located.

The Clubhouse

A clubhouse / machinery shed was completed in February 1956 to house a recently acquired tractor and provide cover for members and associates. It boasted an earth floor and was referred to as the "Tin Shed".

The first clubhouse was built on the same site as all future clubhouses. Building commenced about the middle of 1958 and was finished by September of that year.  The building cost £356.

In 1960 work commenced on the concreting of the area of ground floor consisting of locker rooms each end with a small storeroom in between. Alterations and additions were made to the existing building in September 1964.

In September 1973 a new clubhouse was built completely over the top of the previous clubhouse. The general shape of this clubhouse was pretty well as it is today.

Printable Version